Reflection on Social Media Case 9: Ponderize

Every conflict always has two stories and so who knows, maybe they weren't trying to use a religious talk to their financial advantage? Unfortunately, it doesn't look that way to me. I definitely think the "Ponderize" campaign was planned, but I don't think there was any fault on Elder Durrant. Although he gave the talk on Ponderizing, it was his children that made it an entrepreneurial opportunity. I'm still not sure what the intention was, but I do know that Mormon's are a great market. If you have something practical, spiritual, or has a lot of support from other members, most will jump on the band wagon. While I don't think that the Durrant children should have done this, I do give them props. It was clever and started with good intentions and I'm not sure they understood the impact it would have.

I feel like when you sell things online it takes away accountability. I would bet that if they were selling shirts and things on Temple Square or next to Temple Square they would feel a little off about it because you physically see people's reactions and can feel out the vibe. When you sell things online, in a way, there's less accountability because you are behind a screen. However, with this, online products are more accessible to a greater audience, so it can get ugly on a grander scale. Overall, I don't think the Durrant family saw anything wrong with what they were doing until the issues were brought to their attention from the customers. I've been trying to understand why this situation is annoying to me and I think it's because I am LDS and I don't like the idea of someone using my interests or goals for improvement as a way to make money off of me. It takes a pure thing and twists it.

Comments

  1. I agree with you. I honestly don't think that the Durrant family understood how their actions could have been perceived. It's a good lesson to think about how your actions could be interpreted by others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also LDS, although I am not like most LDS members (extremely obedient ) I do not think that all this was done with bad or double intentions, I just feel that some people do not analyze things before pointing out to other people's behaviors. It is easy to attack since it does not require effort, in the other hand, it is difficult to analyze and most people do not like the work that it means. Good post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reflection on Social Media Case 8: Pastor's 10% to God

Virtual Reality and Social Media

Reflection on Social Media Case 7: Anthony Weiner’s Post