Reflection on Social Media Case 8: Pastor's 10% to God

After a Pastor refused to pay an 18% tip because they paid 10% to God, so why would they pay that tip to the server, the receipt was posted on Reddit and resulted in over 4000 comments, primarily negative. Although the server was fired, I believe the Pastor's reputation was damaged more. The receipt was very hypocritical to many Christian belief's and I find it interesting that the Pastor accused the server of damaging their reputation because they did it to themselves, the waitress just showed it to people. I think this reminds us that we need to be a little kinder and definitely more aware of how our actions affect others. The server was fired because they shared personal information and a transaction of a customer. I think this was justified because that is against Applebee's policy and I think the policy is there to protect the customer. Technically, the server shouldn't have shared the receipt, but I'm happy they did because I don't think people realize how much servers depend on tips.

However, defamation is an important issue to understand.When I hear stories of rude people being shown for who they are I feel like the truth of their character is important to see, but the truth can get stretched and trouble can occasionally follow. People can sue due to defamation of character and I'm grateful that we have this law because it helps me feel protected as a citizen. These laws can protect people from untrue or damaging statements and if the accuser can prove the statement the person said is true, the case would be dropped. Public Officials or figures may have a harder time being successful in a defamation claim because they are heavily involved in the public eye. Their involvement in the public sphere brings added pressure to behave well because when they don't their reputation is at hand, as seen in the pastor tipping example.

Comments

  1. I am happy it got shared and not so secretly hope the Pastors service has no followers anymore. I also agree with them firing Chelsea because it was wrong. So in a way, I am happy with the outcomes. Outing a fraud, firing an employee breaking the handbook rules.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the pastor's reputation was the most damaged, but I believe that it could have been avoided if she had kept the snide remark to herself. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also thought that it was good that this receipt was shared. Even though the pastors reputation was harmed, I think that she kind of had that coming for her because it was based off of her own personal actions. I also agree with you, that the server was right to be fired, because they didn't respect Applebee's company rules. But I am glad it was still posted, because it was so funny! Great Job Soph!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great thoughts! I love the way you tied in class content to your post and added your own ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Virtual Reality and Social Media

Reflection on Social Media Case 7: Anthony Weiner’s Post