Social Media Case 4: Nestle’s “Funner Menu Options” (2009)

I was thoroughly entertained by Nestle's "Funner Menu Options." I remember hearing about this when I was younger and I made my mom call it so that we could play with it. My mom already loves Nestle, so this made her love it even more. I learned about this from my classmates who most likely got it from their siblings. It's so interesting to consider how fast information can travel because of social media and word of mouth. Someone posting on Reddit jump-started the popularity of Nestle's menu. Currently there are 3.3 million Reddit users and there are over 8 billion monthly Reddit page views. If your product can entertain popular users on sites like Reddit this could have an incredible impact for your company, as seen by Nestle. Furthermore, it is interesting to consider the impact of humor on advertising. Research shows that the effects of humor in advertising on consumer attitudes are stronger than that of most other persuasion tools. Therefore, Reddit using this technique with their new phone menu was a genius marketing move. In my opinion, I feel like this decision made Nestle seem more relatable and connected customers to their brand name. Furthermore, customer engagement and the sharing of their experience with Nestle made for free advertising. I remember as a child connecting with the brand Nestle because of this and I’ve bought chocolate milk from them ever since. I’m interested in seeing how this marketing situation would play out if it happened currently. Social media is more popular than back in 2009 because there is more access and opportunities for users to get involved. I imagine that if this were to happen today Nestle’s brand would be even more prominent as tweets, memes, and Facebook posts about their brand would emerge. Although it’s fun engaging with humorous parts of advertising, it is important to stay aware of how this is effecting us as consumers.

Comments

  1. Good job Sophie! I liked your thoughts on this case study.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job Sophie,
    I liked how you brought up how fast news travels simply through word of mouth. I think it's an interesting phenomenon how certain things just catch on. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've noticed that I remember ads better when there is humor involved. I like that you brought up this aspect in your post. I think about commercials during the super bowl and how many of them have some kind of humor. I think about Geico and how they always add humor into their commercials. It would be interesting to examine how profits increase or decrease in a company if they apply humor to their advertising. Great post, Sophie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is interesting to understand the way it was perceived by Americans...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job Soph! I especially liked that you included how because of social media, this was able to spread the way that it did! I think that it was also interesting how even though this was being spread by social media networks, it was also being spread by word of mouth. This just goes to show that the way that we use media can also influence our interpersonal interactions with one another.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reflection on Social Media Case 8: Pastor's 10% to God

Virtual Reality and Social Media

Reflection on Social Media Case 7: Anthony Weiner’s Post